ArtistsProjects is a new initiative of the Old 505 Theatre that continues our commitment to fostering new creative voices. It will provide both practical developmental support as well as informal nurturing to the independent theatre community of Sydney.
In 2017, three programs will run concurrently:
- Playwrights in Residence
- Artists in the Audience
- Small Stage Chatter
Theatre makers of all kinds are encouraged to get involved in these new programs in 2017.
Playwrights in Residence
Three playwrights will be in residence in 2017 at the theatre’s home in Newtown. It’s an initiative designed to encourage playwrights to practice their craft in a supportive, vibrant and community oriented incubation house.
Hot-desking in the theatre’s office, each resident playwright will have access to a computer, free wi-fi, a small kitchen and the hubbub of our small, vibrant community during regular office hours.
Throughout the year, playwrights-in-residence will receive:
- dramaturgical support from the 505 creative team (regular feedback and note sessions);
- opportunity for a development process with actors, a director and a dramaturg; and
- public and/or industry readings.
Playwrights will also be included in the other ArtistsProjects initiatives including:
- hosting their own Small Stage Chatter event about new writing;
- complimentary tickets to all Artist in the Audience shows for our 2017 season; and
- opportunities to engage with the wider 505 artist community and build lasting industry connections; and
- authoring a monthly blog post update on their residency activity.
The ultimate output of each residency is a production ready show that has been developed with a strong creative team.
Want to be one of our inaugural playwrights-in-residence?
Submit the following by 23 December 2016:
- an example of your writing (it need not be a full length play)
- your CV
- a short pitch on the kind of project you wish to write/explore
Submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Artists in the Audience
This initiative is the informal part of our Artists Do program.
All artists involved in our 2017 Season, as well as other 505 initiatives are encouraged to attend the final preview of each show, in a “Pay What You Can” capacity.
It’s a chance to grow the Sydney theatre community through rigorous and supportive conversations after each of these preview shows.
Cheap theatre. Cheap drinks. Big ideas. And big connections to expand your theatremaking network. Bring your friends, bring your collaborators, bring your audiences and get talking to each other!
Don’t be shy – there’ll be a member of the 505 team on hand to introduce everyone so we all get the most out of these invaluable occasions.
Small Stage Chatter
We’re opening up our stage in 2017 with a series of panel discussions, interviews and pre/post show briefings.
It’s a chance for a conversation about the work in our 2017 Season, as well as the larger issues of how the arts community intersects with contemporary Australian politics and philosophy.
Don’t worry if you miss a Small Stage Chatter – the conversations will be published online to allow the conversation to continue beyond the stage.